Dr. Loomis is a San Diego based technical expert who has been engaged by major law firms as a technical expert to provide expert witness services relating to legal matters encompassing patent validity and infringement, trade secrets, product liability as well as USPTO Reexamination Proceedings and Inter Partes Reviews (IPR).
Areas of Technical Expertise Include:
- Design, development and use of medical devices including implantable devices, delivery systems and devices for use in minimally invasive procedures.
- Uses of advanced materials in intravascular applications including stents, vascular grafts, prosthetic cardiac valves, intravascular filters and intravascular catheters.
- Preparation, purification and sterilization of biostable and biodegradable materials.
- Selection, evaluation, modification and manufacturing of materials for controlled release of pharmaceuticals from implantable medical devices.
- Devices for the minimally invasive treatment of neurovascular disorders.
- Use of advanced biomaterials in orthopedic applications.
Past Expert Witness Activity
- Cyril Ashworth, et al. v. O.I.I. International, Inc., Quadra Inc., Limtech, Inc. and EOES; Superior Court of California, County of San Bernardino (2009); Reports and Deposition.
- I-Flow Corp. v. Apex Medical; Case No. 07-cv-1200-DMS (NLS); U.S. District Court, Southern District of California. (2009); Reports, Deposition and Trial Testimony
- Ledergerber Medical Innovations, LLC. et al. v. W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.; Case No. 07-C-1593; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Eastern Division) (2009); Reports and Deposition.
- Wyeth and Cordis Corporation, v. Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Cardiovascular Systems, Inc., and Boston Scientific Corporation and Boston Scientific Scimed, Inc., 3:08-cv-0320-JAP-TAB (2011); Reports and Deposition.
- Wyeth and Cordis Corporation v. Boston Scientific Corp., Abbott Labs. et al.; Case No. 09-4850 (D.N.J) (2011); Reports and Deposition.
- W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc., and Gore Enterprise Holdings, Inc., v. Medtronic, Inc., Medtronic USA, Inc., and Medtronic Vascular, Inc.; U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, Civil Action No. 10-cv-00441-MSD-DEM (2011-2012); Reports, Deposition and Trial Testimony.
- Edwards Lifesciences LLC et al. v. Medtronic Corevalve LLC, et al.; U.S. District Court District of Delaware; Civil Action No. 12-23-GMS (2013); Reports, Deposition and Trial Testimony.
- I-Flow LLC, et al., v. Progressive Medical, Inc.; U.S. District Court District of Central California; Civil Action No. 8:12-cv-01064-AGRNB (2013-2014); Reports and Deposition.
- Medtronic, Inc. et al. v. Edwards Lifesciences Corp., et al; U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota; Civil Action No. 11-cv-01650-JNE-JSM; (2013-2014); Reports.
- Edge Systems LLC. et al v. Rafael Newton Aguila; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida; Civil Action No. 11-cv-2417-KMM/McAliley (2014-2015): Report.